Hump Day Interview with Etsy Seller - Yellowfield7

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Brown Cloche - look at the detail on this hat!

I am so so so excited to be featuring local Etsy seller - Yellowfield7 on my Hump Day Interview with an Etsy Seller. Yes, it is a day late, but I was traveling yesterday and I wanted to give this blog adequate attention!
Black and Brown Cloche with 2 Vintage Buttons

I'd like to introduce Behida to everyone! She is a super super talented hat maker from Bosnia. I contacted her for this blog because I am obsessed with hats and noticed that she was local. I love to support local artists - especially super talented ones that make ridiculously beautiful hats. You can purchase her designs on Etsy or in several local stores in SF - contact her for which ones!

On with the interview -

What prompted you to start selling on Etsy?
Before I knew about the world of Etsy, I would walk down the street in San Francisco wearing one of my hats, and so many people would ask me where I found my hat. And after I told them that I made it, the first thing they tell me is that I should check out Etsy as a venue to sell my hats. Then I finally made my way to Etsy and loved what I saw — so many wonderful creations and so many people doing what they love to do. I was so inspired that I decided to set up my own virtual hat shop on Etsy.

What inspires you?
It is inspiring to see people's faces transformed and their confidence elevated when they don a hat I have made. Many people suddenly feel elegant and sophisticated when they first try on one of my hats. The pride of ownership for those who wear my designs is incredibly rewarding to me. Also I feel proud and continually inspired knowing that I contribute to keeping alive the disappearing art of making one-of-a-kind hats, which was once such an esteemed role in society across all social classes.

Sweet Hat - indeed it is!

What is your favorite material to work with (and/or why)?
I think of my hats as a wearable sculptures. So my favorite materials are the treasures I find in the antique shops: old buttons, shoe buckles, hat pins… When I find things like old jewelry, I get so excited and inspired that I create a hat in my mind before I even begin working on it. And of course, felt is magic - it is difficult to work with, but it's so worth it. I love to drape felt and craft a new hat for hours on end, and to see the fruition of what has taken so many steps: a new original design fusing vintage elegance with modern simplicity.

Any advice you have for new Etsy sellers?
Etsy is so full of information on how to sell your handmade goods. I must say I am still learning how to find all the hidden valuable treasures of Etsy. One important thing that I have learned is that you must be active, talk with other sellers, and make good connections on Etsy. I see Etsy as a wonderful space to network with artists, and to see what others are creating. Have good photos of your work, and take great pride in what you have created. Be kind and supportive!

Wonderful Green - AHHHH this is the most amazing hat!

Pink Cloche - stunning

What is your favorite thing about selling on Etsy?

Oh, so many things. The emails I receive from people who don't even like or wear hats, saying that they love to see someone doing what I do- they are so happy that millinery is still being so loved and cared for. I get excited to go on Etsy in the morning to see what the world has created. Selling on Etsy has given me so much confidence, and it has made my hat business much stronger than before. For me Etsy is an ocean of creativity and I am so happy to have found it.

I want to thank Behida for taking the time to talk to me - I learned so much from her and I've already started saving up for one of her hats - they are worth it.

adsense code

0 comments:

Post a Comment